In the video below, I summarize the pros and cons of Artichoke Leaf Extract… And how to best use it for maximum safety and effectiveness.
“So How Effective Is Artichoke Leaf Extract For Improving Cholesterol & Triglycerides?…”
The discovery that artichoke leaf extract reduces elevated cholesterol levels opens up exciting perspectives in the prevention and treatment of arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease.
It was as early as the 1930s that scientists first discovered that artichoke extract had a favorable effect on atherosclerotic plaques in the arteries (Tixier, 1939). Later animal studies, in which rats were fed a high-fat diet, also showed that artichoke extract prevented a rise in serum cholesterol levels and the manifestation of atherosclerotic plaque (Samochowiec, 1959 and 1962).
80 Years of Proof?…
In addition to findings in animal experiments (Samochowiec et al., 1971; Frohlich and Ziegler, 1973; Wojcicki 1976; Lietti 1977 and 1978), a study by Fintelmann in 1996 of 553 outpatients demonstrated a significant effect of the extract on fat (lipid) metabolism. The researchers found a significant decline in both the cholesterol and triglycerides levels in the blood, which confirmed a discovery made as early as the 1930s.
In another double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 143 people with high cholesterol, artichoke leaf extract using 5% Cynarin significantly improved cholesterol readings1. Total cholesterol fell by 18.5% as compared to 2.6% in the placebo group; LDL cholesterol by 23% vs. 6%; and LDL-to-HDL ratios by 20% vs. 7%.
Warnings & “Scams”
As with anything, there are always potential “negatives” and here are a few things you want to watch out for.
- As seen in the above studies, you want to ONLY use the “extract” form of artichoke leaf extract, not “powder” – which doesn’t work at all.
- The CORRECT extracted form uses 15% Chlorogenic Acid and 5% Cynarin.1 This is the only clinically proven form that has worked in studies and the only form used in a proven product called, CholesLo™.
- You never want to take only the artichoke leaf extract by itself because you would have to take a very high dose of it to work and that’s when the negative side-effects start (more about this in a second…)
But, don’t go out and spend your hard-earned money on artichoke leaf extract just yet …
“So, What’s YOUR Best & Safest Solution?…”
I’ll be honest with you. No one single ingredient works at 100% effectiveness forever, let alone for every person. And that includes Artichoke Leaf Extract or any other single herb or nutrient.
Think about it. Just like you don’t eat only broccoli for best health, you don’t want to use only one herb or nutrient either.
The best products use Artichoke Leaf Extract, in conjunction with other key ingredients, at specific dosages to help create healthy cholesterol levels, HDL/LDL ratios and triglycerides.
Other key ingredients you should look for when purchasing a product, which also work in synergy with Artichoke Leaf Extract are:
- Policosanol (make sure it contains specific “octacosanol” and not the cheaper form of “beta-sistosterol”)
- Garlic Extract (make sure it’s Deodorized with 1.3% alliin)
- Pantesin® d-Pantethine
- Guggulsterones (make sure it’s 10% Pure Extract; E and Z)
- Red Yeast Rice (only the extract form)
- Phytosterols Complex
Additionally, whatever product you select – make sure it has a liver cleansing formula (because your liver is where cholesterol problems first start) and something to reduce Homocysteine levels (which is 43% cause of heart attacks).6 This is REALLY IMPORTANT!
When the above ingredients are combined together in proper ratios, the “synergy” creates a much more effective solution, at a lower dose – WITHOUT your body adapting or having negative side-effects. That’s the secret!…
Confused? Too Many Options & Choices?
Here’s What Other People Have Done…
Now, you might be thinking, “Geez, I don’t want to take 20-30 pills a day, buying a bunch of bottles and herbs” and I don’t blame you. Who has the time OR money?…
Fortunately, there’s “all-in-one” remedy called CholesLo™, which contains the above key ingredients, in specific extracted dosages — in addition to a couple other helpful ingredients.
The feedback has been amazing and since the product has been around since 1999, you know it works!
- Englisch W, Beckers C, Unkauf M, et al. Efficacy of artichoke dry extract in patients with hyperlipoproteinemia. 2000;50:260-265.
- Heart Disease Facts
- Side Effects of Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Drugs
- Cholesterol-Lowering Abilities of a Novel Proprietary Preparation – CholesLo
- Natural substance lowers cholesterol better than statins
- Homocysteine lowering and cardiovascular disease risk