Today, March 18th, 2015 is the official “Kick Butts Day”, bringing awareness to the dangers of smoking.
So I’d like to quickly discuss smoking and the damage it causes your body. But don’t worry, you really CAN reverse the damage within minutes of quitting and I’ll get to that in a minute.
Despite significant progress since the first Surgeon General’s report, issued 50 years ago, smoking remains the single largest cause of preventable disease and death in the United States.
For the first time, women are as likely to die as men from many diseases caused by smoking.
Smoking Less, But Dying Faster
Smokers today have a greater risk of developing lung cancer than did smokers in 1964.
- Even though today’s smokers smoke fewer cigarettes than those 50 years ago, they are at higher risk of developing lung cancer.
- Changes in the design and composition of cigarettes since the 1950s have increased the risk of adenocarcinoma of the lung, the most common type of lung cancer.
- Evidence suggests that ventilated filters may have contributed to higher risks of lung cancer by enabling smokers to inhale more vigorously, thereby drawing carcinogens contained in cigarette smoke more deeply into lung tissue.
- At least 70 of the chemicals in cigarette smoke are known carcinogens. Levels of some of these chemicals have increased as manufacturing processes have changed.
1 Out Of 3 Cancer Deaths Can Be Prevented
As seen in the below image, 1 out of 3 cancer deaths really can be prevented and quitting smoking is the BEST way to prevent cancer:
Smoking is literally linked to all the major cancers!
But what’s worse is that smoking is a major contributor to heart disease. Smoking decreases blood flow throughout the body, raises cholesterol levels and plaque buildup, increases blood pressure and is a major cause of a heart attack or stroke.
How To Reverse The Damage
But look what happens when you QUIT smoking:
Within minutes after quitting smoking, your blood pressure returns to normal. And 15 years after quitting, your risk of heart disease is that of a non-smoker.
Thus, your body really CAN heal itself! … But it’s up to you to QUIT today, to give your body a chance to repair itself.
It Starts Early
Smoking and smokeless tobacco use are initiated and established primarily during adolescence. Nearly 9 out of 10 smokers first tried cigarettes by age 18, and 99% first tried cigarettes by age 26.
So the key to prevention needs to start early and that means having a talk with your kids.
- Smoking causes cancer, but not only lung – but the majority of cancers.
- Smoking can also cause a heart attack or stroke by raising cholesterol levels, decreasing blood flow/circulation and increasing blood pressure.
- The good news is that the negatives of smoking can be reversed in as little as 20 minutes, once you finally quit.
- Over 80% of adult smokers began before the age of 18, so have a talk with your kids.
As the saying goes, “give it up by NOT taking it up”. It’s never too late to stop smoking, reverse the damage and get your health back!
Share this page with anyone who you think may benefit or needs a “reminder” about the health problems of smoking.