So this is an important article about anyone who is taking calcium, magnesium, Vitamin K, and/or D3.
If you’re interested in gaining muscle, losing fat, improving your memory, sleeping better, having stronger bones, better circulation, improving your hormones, and simply living a longer life with fewer illnesses and diseases, then please read today’s article.
Yes, this is a big promise, but it’s true.
This is for both men and women and maybe even MORE so for women.
I got asked an important question:
Dr. Robbins can you please clarify for me, how much calcium I am supposed to take daily? I keep hearing about how important calcium is. I am presently taking 1200mg of calcium Citrate in a liquid form plus Magnesium 400mg and vitamins K-2 and D3. Thank you!
First, these are all important vitamins and minerals to take, so good job.
Secondly, I can’t tell you how much calcium you may need since there are too many factors and the only way to give you a specific answer is to do a blood test and see where your current levels are and IF you’re deficient or by how much.
However, let me give you some very important things to think about.
First, you shouldn’t be taking only calcium citrate. You should do a blend of different calcium, such as
- D-Glucarate (one of my favorites)
Ideally, you’ll probably need to mix and match a couple of different brands to get the mix, this is what I do.
With that said, you don’t need any more calcium.
What’s even more important is magnesium, something that most people are deficient in and need more of – especially women.
I suggest taking at least the same mg dose as the calcium and maybe even double, especially women.
But don’t take it all at once or else you may get digestive issues. Start lower and build up.
Just like calcium, take a blend
- L-threonate (one of my favorites)
Take about 75% of your magnesium around bedtime, to help you relax, sleep better, and reduce stress hormones. And take the other 25% of the dose around noon. These seem to be ideal times for absorption and utilization.
You can do this with the calcium as well, so you can remember to take them both at the same time.
Next is by far one of my favorite vitamins, which is D3, and one that most people are deficient in.
So, here’s something interesting. I HAD been taking 10,000 units DAILY for a few years… and yes, that high.
I did a blood test and my levels were about 61 ng/mL. The range is between 30-100.
Most people and doctors will say “great, that’s in the middle, you’re good”
However, that is NOT optimal.
I now take 20,000 units daily, Mon-Fri, which works out to about 15,000 units daily. I do this because I like to cycle this off, even if it’s just 2 days weekly. You don’t have to, it’s just me since I’m taking such a higher dose of fat-soluble vitamin.
Yes, it’s a crazy high dose. But at this dose, my blood test level is now 93 ng/mL. I believe the very upper limit of the range, 30-100 is optimal.
Again, it’s always best and ideal to do blood tests to remove all the guesswork.
The unfortunate truth is that I should be getting a lot more sun to help absorb the D3 better and help my body produce it on its own, based on the amount of cholesterol I’m also eating daily.
BUT, I just don’t make the time to go in the sun and have the UV rays hit my body daily for 20-30 min. I should, but I don’t.
So, I supplement with extra D3. Not the best move, but this is what I have to do for now because I’m not getting enough sunlight.
I’ll share something interesting with you about magnesium and D3, as it pertains to calcium… and I’ll tell you that in a minute.
However, let ‘s quickly talk about vitamin K.
This is an extremely important vitamin and I believe that in a few years, this will regularly be tested like D3 is these days.
Needless to say, if you’re not taking this other important fat-soluble vitamin, please do so now. And this one, you want a mixture of K1, K2, and Mk7.
The Best Combination
So, here’s the cool part…
When you take more magnesium and D3, you absorb more calcium.
And vitamin K, especially K2-7 (Menaquinon MK7) helps take the calcium out of the blood and into the bones, where it should be.
This improves blood flow and helps reduce plaque and calcium buildup in your arteries and veins.
This combo also helps build stronger bones, improves your hormones, and helps with thousands of other extremely important functions and disease avoidance.
So, there you have it.
Calcium is important, take a blend.
However, taking magnesium blend, combined with D3 and K, helps you absorb and utilize more Calcium.
A great side-benefit to all of this is better circulation.
There are other vitamins and ingredients you can take if you’re interested in improving blood flow, I’ve listed the best ingredients and a formula I personally use daily – both my parents as well.