Today I’ll discuss:
- The primary cause of how testosterone can cause acne
- Secondary causes of acne
- And of course, how to reduce and even stop acne.
Testosterone typically converts to 2 main hormones:
- DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) -is linked to hair loss, body hair growth, prostate problems, and yes – pimples
- Estrogen – which can cause extra body fat, moodiness, man-boobs (gynecomastia) and yes, also pimples.
DHT can cause pimples directly because it binds much more strongly than testosterone to the androgen receptors. Estrogen can cause pimples indirectly by increasing the sensitivity of the androgen receptor.
This basically means that when it comes to acne, high DHT can cause it and high estrogen increases it.
Additionally, if your hormones suddenly fluctuate up or down – such as during puberty, taking testosterone injections or steroids… or even when women are menstruating – then your body will dramatically increase sebum production, you’ll get oily skin and that can cause more acne.
This is why older women can still get acne every month due to the fluctuations in their hormones due to their menstrual cycle.
Or if you have a lot of acute stress, the sudden changes in your hormones can cause acne.
What Causes Acne?
Please keep in mind that there are other factors that can contribute to excess acne.
- Clogged Pores: if your skin isn’t clean, your pores can get clogged, bacteria grow and you’ll get pimples. Typical places are chest, back, and face.
- Diet: Another factor is of course your diet. For many people, dairy can cause acne. Any food that causes inflammation can increase acne. So, processed foods, seed oils, high glycemic and sugary foods, and so forth can all cause more inflammation, and changes in your hormones – such as insulin and cortisol – all of which can cause acne.
- Stress: Of course, stress can negatively affect anything in your body, which can cause an increase in stress hormones, poor sleep, inflammation, and so forth.
- Genetics: Lastly, genetics always has a big impact on your body. Thus, if you’re more genetically predisposed to getting acne… For example, when you were going through puberty you had a lot more than other people… Then you need to put in more effort at improving your diet, managing stress, and keeping your skin clean… thus, optimizing your hormones.
How About Testosterone?
Now, circling back to testosterone. You CAN have higher testosterone levels, and still reduce getting acne.
One simple way is to reduce excess DHT levels. You can take 5 Alpha Reductase drugs such as Finasteride or Dutasteride. Herbs such as Saw Palmetto extract can also work. But, these solutions can reduce your sex drive in some people.
Also, reducing excess estrogen levels is a good idea. Again, this can be done with potent aromatase-inhibiting drugs such as Arimidex, Femara or Aromasin. Unfortunately, these will also cause a ton of side effects and lowered libido is one.
Supplements such as DIM, and White Button Mushroom Extract can help optimize your estrogen levels.
However, the good news is that there’s a potent mineral that not only helps reduce DHT and estrogen but can also increase testosterone levels and that’s Zinc. I suggest you take it with copper to prevent imbalances.
15-30 mg of zinc with 1-2 mg of copper daily is a good start. I’ve done an entire video about this.
Now, there are other safe and natural ways to help balance out your testosterone, DHT, and estrogen levels. There are other herbs and minerals. Some of the best and most scientifically researched ones are found in AlphaViril. This is an all-in-one pill I’ve been taking for over 20 years.
AlphaViril does contain all the correct herbs, at the proper dosage and extracts, including both Zinc and Copper.
Testosterone directly does not cause acne.
What testosterone converts to, DHT and estrogen, are the real causes of acne.
Hormonal fluctuations make things worse. So you need to make sure your diet and stress levels are managed properly.
And if you’re just genetically prone to getting acne, then you really need to focus on all the solutions I’ve mentioned today and start taking AlphaViril to speed up the results.